Old advertising postcard for year 1930s.
I found some interesting facts about cod liver oil on Wikipedia.com. Did you know that:
- It has high levels of omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA).
- It has very high levels of vitamins A and D.
- It helps to ease the pain and joint stiffness associated with arthritis.
- A 2005 study by researchers at the University of California found that Vitamin D may lower the risk of developing different types of cancers, halving the chances of getting breast, ovarian, and colon cancers.
- It is clinically proven to have a positive effect on heart, bone and brain.
- It helps to nourish skin, hair and nails.
- Cod liver oil taken by nursing mothers improves breast milk by increasing the amount of fatty acids which promotes brain development and helps prevent infections.
- Pregnant women should not take cod liver oil due to the high amount of Vitamin A, which, in high doses is shown to cause birth defects.
- The risks of hypervitaminosis
- Exposure to environmental toxins such as mercury, polychlorinated biphenyls, dioxins, and other contaminants.